Nainital was discovered as a Holiday Resort by the Britishers and is a magnificent hill resort in the State of Uttrakhand. It has emerged around a beautiful lake which also offers boating rides and Naina Devi Temple on its shore. The lake is surrounded by the hills from three sides. In the Skand Pura, the place is mentioned as Trishul Sarovar which came into existence when Tri Rishi dug a hole to quench the thirst while on a pilgrimage. Nainital is a place for boating, yatching, horse riding, skating, golf and rock climbing for the visitors. There are shopping arcades known as Bara Bazaar, Talli Tal and Malli Tal.
Places to Visit in and around Nainital
- Hanumangarhi : Sun set view at the temple of lord Hanuman
- Khurpatal : The coniferous trees and Sal trees junction that gives a splendid view of nature
- Kilbury: A wooded spot a quiet and peaceful holiday
- Lariakanta : Provides an amazing panorama of the lake region.
- Land’s End: Capture the scene of Khurpatal and the terraced fields on the hill side.
- Naini Peak: Ride a horse or trek to this magnificent picnic spot of the town. The scene of snow clad Himalayas from the peak is mesmerising.
- Naini Lake: Boating, Sailing and Fishing (permission of Executive Officer, Municipal Board, Nainital)
- Snow-View: Gaze at the Himalayan Range by a telescope on Sher-ka-Danda hill connected by ropeway.
- Nainital Ropeway : The ropeway covers a distance of 705 meters with an altitude gain of 300 meters.
- Bhimtal : Island in the centre of the lake is an excellent spot. for picnic. \
- Naukuchia Tal: The area is an ideal location for bird watching.