Shimla once a summer capital is situated at the foothills of Himalayan range. It is connected through a narrow gauge railway network which exists for more than 100 years. It provides entertainment and delight to an adventurous, handicraft items and crafts for partisan, wooden toys for a child, pedestrian avenues for a soothing walk and lush green natural beauty which gets covered in snow during snow time of the seasons.
The winds from the upper Himalaya gives a cold and chilly winters . The snow falls around end of the calendar year. Shimla is a hill station that can be visited anytime throughout the year. Remember to carry warm cloths throughout the year. Summers are the time for fairs, trekking and the scenic lush green and flowery nature and the winters bring in the winter sports such as ice skating carnival. Shimla had been a scenic place attracting lots of movies from the bollywood to be shot here.
- The major places to visit in and around during stay at Shimla are
- Himachal State Museum & Library which has a collection of ancient historical paintings, sculptures and items. [Open from 10AM – 5 PM except on Mondays and Public Holidays]
- Botanical Garden & Viceregal Lodge – The six storey building, once residence of British Viceroy Lord Dufferin, surrounded by lawns and gardens
- The Ridge – Centre of the city to provide a panoramic view of the mountain ranges
- The Mall – The main shopping centre, the revered landmark, the evening point for walk and capture the lights
- Kamna Devi temple – On the top of Prospect hill which offers a splendid view of the arear
- Picnic Spots
- Ecological Park at the Potter Hill
- Glenn – A secluded picnic spot after walking through the forest
- Annandale – Deodar trees, old polo ground and an ancient temple
- Kufri (16 km from Shimla) – Known for the wonderful snow for skiing and bio-diversity
Shimla has camping, paragliding, mountain-cycling, skiing, heliskiing and ice-skating. Ice-skating normally begins in early December and carries on to February. Other fascinations are camping, fishing, golf and safari by car, jeep or on motorcycle.